Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
When you’re exposed to carbon monoxide in the air, your body replaces the oxygen in your red blood cells with the dangerous, odorless gas. This can lead to serious tissue damage and even death. Hyperbaric oxygen can help reduce complications of carbon monoxide poisoning, even save lives, by flushing the toxin out of the bloodstream through the delivery of 100 percent oxygen under pressure in a hyperbaric chamber.
Common in house fires and other closed spaces, carbon monoxide poisoning is the leading cause of poisoning death in the United States. The danger lies in the odorless, colorless, and tasteless nature of the gas that has a 100-fold greater affinity for hemoglobin that oxygen.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include visual impairment, memory loss, decreased level of consciousness, and motor and sensory loss. Pregnant women have a higher risk of poisoning since the hemoglobin in the baby binds more tightly than adult hemoglobin does.
Referral Protocol: Immediately, upon exposure to carbon monoxide to flush the toxin out of the bloodstream or as soon as neurological symptoms manifest. Please note that neurological problems with memory, attention or concentration can occur immediately after exposure and persist or can be delayed, but they generally occur within 20 days after carbon monoxide poisoning. A study conducted by multiple emergency departments support the use hyperbaric oxgyen therapy for acute carbon monoxide poisoning.
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy delivered at HyOx works to accelerate the release and elimination of carbon monoxide from the blood, saturate the tissues with 100 percent oxygen, decrease cerebral swelling and restore the oxygen level to normal as quickly as possible.